Wednesday 25 March 2015

Penguin Design Award, Freakonomics Evaluation - Responsive Studio Brief 1


For this brief I redesigned the cover for the non-fiction book Freakonomics, a rogue economist explores the hidden side of everything. On whole I am happy with the final outcome. On of the strengthens is that I think that the concept behind the cover is imaginative. In the brief it states how the judges are looking for an imaginative design. Inspired by the tagline of the book I wanted part of the book to be hidden. This is when I come up with the idea of need a mirror to read the cover, allowing the reader to have to think about how they have to read the cover, similar to how the author doesn't do everything simply and straightforward. One of the disadvantages of the design is that I think it looks too busy. The brief states how you have to include all of the text they provide, which there was a lot of. I could have designed it my way I would have used less text. I found it difficult to include a lot of text into my design, as I didn't want it too look cluttered. Another problem I faced during this project was that I didn't give myself enough time and I rushed at the end. I underestimated how long it would take to design a book cover and I took longer than I expected. In the future I will insure that I always give myself plenty of time and try not to underestimate things.

No comments:

Post a Comment