Sunday 22 May 2016

OUGD 603 - Brief 11, Punk Zine 1 Week Brief Evaluation

Hands down, this was the brief that I enjoyed doing the most. I had always wanted to create a tradition punk zine and finally got the chance. The zine looked at The Women of Punk and sexism in the music industry during the punk movement. Taking particular inspiration from the riot grrrl movement and feminist zines from the early 90's. I gave myself a week to gather all the content and to create the zine. This was because it was something I wanted to focus my full attention on, and not be interrupted by any other briefs. It was very time consuming cutting out all of the content, but working physically allowed me to me much more creative with my layout design and try different things. Not working digitally meant that I didn't have much room for error, fixing a mistake was much more time consuming. Usually, I stick to very minimal design, a use a grid. Working very differently to that was a whole new experience that I really enjoyed. I already have some zine idea what I want to create in this style again. The print came out great quality and the colour came out really one. One problem that I had was using the guillotine to cut it out, I didn't but the lock on and it didn't cut straight and ended up cropping it down much more than I would have liked. In future with small publications, I am going to use a craft knife to cut it to, to ensure accuracy

No comments:

Post a Comment