Sunday 22 May 2016

OUGD 603 - Brief 3, Beauty Zine Evaluation

I have been working on this brief though out the year, very slowly piecing the two issues together. Overall I am happy with how it looks design wise. This was the first time working on such a big editorial project and I really enjoyed doing it. Actually creating a magazine with two issues took a lot of planning and organising, a found that this actually improved my time management skills. When you are working with another person you can always just work when you want to, you have to fit around them, this took a lot of organising as I had to travel home so that we could have a meeting about the zine every few weeks. I found collaborating to be a challenge. As I couldn't start designing until I had the article content from Becki, I started designing a lot later than I would have hope. I also felt like I constantly had to nag Becki to get it done, it was more like she was working for me rather than with me. On the other hand, it was good to get a different perspective when idea generation and constantly getting feedback on my designs. Getting to work illustratively and by hand is something that I always enjoy doing and feel that it from this brief my drawing had got a lot stronger on a whole. Designing went smoothly for me, the big problem I faced was printing. I did a test print to check that colour would all come out okay, which they did. However when I took both issues down to digital print to be printed they colours were really off. Because of this, I want to revisit the colours I chose and pick something that will print better. Also, I had trouble cutting it out, the guillotine wasn’t locked in placed and ended up taking chuck too much out of the zines. As I am still pretty new at printing publications, I blame my error on that. I hope to become better at it with time. As this is the brief I am extending for the final show, I want to take them to a professional printer to be printed and bound to ensure they are the best quality.




No comments:

Post a Comment